Occupations and Studies that will help you obtain a Permanent Visa in Australia

Australia is a country that you can fall easily in love with. Everybody who is lucky enough to live on it is aware that it’s quality of life, landscapes and opportunities transform it into a destination where many want to settle in the long term. But, how to achieve it? Here we will try to help you understand which are the occupations and studies that will help you obtain a PR in Australia.

To come to live and work in Australia one can do it mainly through two visas, Work and Holidays and a student visa. The first has a duration of 1 year, can be renewed if you work at least 3 months in certain regional areas and has age limits (31 years maximum when entering the country). If you want more information regarding this visa, check out our blog post on Working Holidays visa.

Student Visas

On the other hand, there is a student visa, which lasts from 3 months to approximately 3 years, always depending on each case. Depending on the level of your course, you can then opt for a Postgraduate visa. If you want more details, check our blog note on the Graduate Skill Visa.

And this is where we must stop since the student visa is one of those that can help you take the step to a Permanent Residence or PR as it is known, but what is the fundamental thing?

  • Duration of your course (minimum 1 year and a half).
  • Course level (must be a category IV course and part of the CRICOS list).
  • City and state where you study and live (Several cities are part of regional areas and have other specific visas for the area).
  • Area of ​​your studies and/or profession (some areas and professions are included in the list of occupations that the country needs).
  • Ask an immigration agent for advice (they are the ones who handle more information and can help you devise a plan to get a PR visa or another).

Permanent Visa

In the period 2019-2020, more than 140,000 Permanent Resident visas were granted in Australia. The top 3 nationalities to which they were granted were India, China and the UK. On the other hand, regional visas represented 24.4% of the Skill Program.

We leave you below the detail of the occupations that obtained the most PR visas:

  • Professionals (59.6% of visas granted, including professionals from the health, education, ICT, arts, and media sectors).
  • Technicians and commercial workers (17% of visas granted, including commercial workers, technical engineers and IT technicians).
  • Managers (9% of visas granted, including hospitality managers, retail managers, and business executives).
  • Community and personal service workers (2% of visas granted were for community and personal service workers).
  • Office and clerical workers (1% of the visas granted were for clerical and clerical staff).

In the 2019-2020 period, almost 13,000 independent visas were granted, that is, requested by the person directly and not together with the support of a company. We detail the main occupations that obtained this visa:

  • Software engineer
  • Counter
  • Developer Programmer
  • Computer Systems and Networks Engineer
  • Mechanical engineer
  • Registered Nurses Nec
  • ICT security specialist
  • ICT Business Analyst
  • Nec Medical Practitioners
  • Civil engineer
  • Electrical engineer
  • General practitioner

In the same period, 2019-2020, new regional visas were introduced and more than 23,000 were granted, of which 8,000 were obtained through sponsorship and/or sponsorship of employers and 15,000 independently for qualified workers. Check the migration page for more information about these visas.

We also detail the occupations that obtained the most visas in regional areas:

  • Accountants
  • Registered nurses
  • Chefs
  • Cafe and Restaurant Managers
  • Chefs
  • Software and application developers
  • Retail managers
  • Civil engineering professionals
  • Engine mechanics
  • Industrial, mechanical and production engineers

The process of obtaining a Permanent Visa is not easy or fast, but if your plans include staying to live in this country for a long period of time, your studies and area of ​​development must be within the lists that we show above. In any case, you must always consult with migration agents who are the experts on these matters and can help you devise a long-term plan to obtain a definitive visa in Australia.

On the other hand, the issue of regional visas is fundamental, since the country is focused on promoting migration to other areas of Australia. The conditions change every year according to the needs that each state has, always stay informed by entering the migration page.

If you want more information write to us at info@puravidastudy.com.au. We can help you plan your life in Australia and find the perfect course for you. We work very close to immigration agents who will advise you in the best way!

See you in Australia mate! 🙂


Source of the article here.

Florencia Calderon

Chilean Journalist who loves sports, travel, healthy living and cooking.

Do you need help with your student visa?

Contact Puravida Study for advice.

enquire now