How to go from a Work and Holiday Visa to a Student Visa in Australia

Travelling to Australia with a Work and Holiday Visa (WHV) is an experience not to be missed! Travelling, working and living wherever you want in this country for a year is the dream of many. But what commonly happens, is that once you live here a single year it seems like a short time! Luckily, with the WHV you can renew your visa for up to 3 years! For this, you have to carry out certain types of work in certain areas of Australia according to your passport, but not all of us enjoy or want to carry out that experience or perhaps some of us have other plans. For those who want to stay longer in Australia, the student visa is a very good option. Here is a detailed guide on how to go from a Work and Holiday Visa to a Student Visa in Australia with everything you need to know! Read to the end!

Can I get the Student Visa from Australia?

Yes, you can! If you are in Australia, with a Work and Holiday Visa or even a Tourist Visa, you can apply for a Student Visa inside the country.

What are the requirements for a Student Visa in Australia?

The steps are very simple:

1) You must first enrol in a course admitted by the Australian government lasting more than 12 weeks. Don’t worry, we can help you find the course you like, be it English, University degrees, technical, Vocational, there are many options!

2) You must hire health insurance compulsory for the visa application, called OSHC. There are many options and companies that issue it, we can help you with this process and also find the best prices for you.

3) Have a valid passport with which you will apply to the visa.

4) Pay for the student visa, currently around $ 620 AUD (August 2020).

How long do I need to apply for this visa?

We always recommend starting the process at least one month before your current visa expires. Remember that you cannot be in Australia without Visa.

What if my WHV expires soon but the course I want to study starts a few months later?

You can still apply! When this happens, we can help you apply for a Bridging Visa, which will allow you to stay in Australia until your course and your student visa begin.

How long does a student visa last?

The duration of the visa will depend on the duration of your course and the number of vacations included in the course. The longer the course, the longer the visa lasts! In addition, for courses lasting more than 10 months, the visa time includes the course time plus two additional months after the course! And if your course of more than 10 months duration ends in December, they grant you 3 extra months of visa! If you have any questions about this, contact us at

What courses can I study in Australia?

There are a huge number of courses to choose from! You can study an English course either general or prepare for a particular international exam. Even a technical or vocational course in Sports, Health, Arts, Culinary, Entrepreneurship … or there are also very good university programs. The options are many, contact us to guide you a little or go to our website here to see some available.

How much does a course in Australia cost?

The value of the course will depend on the type of studies you choose. Generally, a general English course can cost you from $ 120 AUD per week, a VET (Vocational / Technical) course can cost from $ 4,000 AUD to $ 22,000 AUD per year, or a university program can cost you from $ 6,000 AUD per semester. Please contact us for more detailed information about course prices or if we have scholarships or special discounts available at +61 410 085 993 (WhatsApp) or send us an email to You can also make your own quote by clicking here.

Can I work with a student visa?

Yes, you can! Students in Australia can work up to 40 hours fortnightly while in class. When you have a vacation from your course you can work 40 hours a week! Also, you can only start working once your course has already started.

What are the benefits of a student visa in Australia?

1) You will improve your English abysmally! Whether you take an English course or any other, having classes, reading and doing your homework in English will help you a lot with the language!

2) You can study anything you like in the city you prefer. Australia stands out for its wide variety of courses and options at all levels!

3) You can work for the same employer for more than 6 months. Unlike WHV, which limits you to work up to 6 months for the same employer.

4) You can legally work in Australia while studying. This way, you can cover your expenses, pay for your school, and even save some money!

5) You can include your partner in this visa, who will also have legal rights to work.

6) If you feel that this course was not enough, or you want to stay in the country for longer, you can renew your student visa again!

Access full student guide with everything you need to know here!

Do you want to travel, study and live in Australia? Do you have any doubts about how to go from a Working Holiday Visa to a Student Visa in Australia? Leave us your comment below, or contact us today at +61 410 085 993 (WhatsApp) or by email at!

See you in Australia mate!:)


An Argentina passionate about travelling, cooking, interested in sustainability and always learning new things. After having travelled and lived in Australia, she is now studying a master's degree in Sydney and sharing her experience with all those who want to come!

Do you need help with your student visa?

Contact Puravida Study for advice.

enquire now