What visa do I need to Travel, Study or Work in Australia?

There are many types of visas you can choose to apply to enter Australia. Before you begin your research to understand which visa is best for you, it is very important to define the purpose of your trip first. You can travel on vacation, live for a season and take an English course while you visit the country, study a specific professional course, or just go for work, the paths are many. We have selected the main options available and most common visas applied by Puravida clients, check it out below.


1. Tourist visa (subclass 600, 601 e 651)

If your plan is purely for adventure, visiting family or holidays, a Tourist visa is the best option for you.
Note: Medical treatment cases are not covered by this visa.

Visa Permissions:

You are entitled to travel across Australia as a tourist. You are allowed to study while on this visa but you are not permitted to work while on this visa.

Length of stay:

The tourist visa has some subclasses (600, 601 and 651) and can it be valid for 3, 6 or 12 months. Click here for more information.


The requirements for the tourist are usually simple, such as presenting a letter with objectives and dates of travel, travel insurance or proof of funds. There is no English requirement attached to this visa.


It varies by subclass from 0 to $1045 AUD.

Processing time:

From 24 hours to 30 days.


2. Student visa (subclass 500)

If you are planning to study, you should apply for the Student visa. With this visa, you can choose to study part time or full time for a minimum of 12 weeks to 5 years in a government accredited institution. You can choose either an English or Vocational Education (VET) course.

Visa Permissions:

You can legally study and work for up to 20 hours per week (or 40 hours fortnightly). During school holidays periods, 40 hours of work per week is permitted.

Length of stay:

This is relative to the course time length (minimum 12 weeks to 5 years) + 30 extra days.

Requirements – There is a basic checklist to follow:

  • To be enrolled in a government accredited educational institution
  • Meet health requirements and obtain compulsory health insurance (OSHC)
  • Present a letter of intent to study
  • Provide evidence of financial capacity


The application cost is $575 AUD.

Processing time:

Visa processing time can vary in each case, with an average of 40 days (but may be longer in periods of high season).

Our team of educational agents are experienced in the whole process and can assist you with everything you need. Please contact us here.


3. Working Holiday visa (subclass 417) and Work & Holiday visa (subclass 462)

These visa options are the best to combine work and travel in Australia. They aim to encourage young people from partner countries to come to Australia.

Visa Permissions:

  • Stay in Australia for up to 12 months
  • Work in Australia, generally for up to six months with each employer
  • Study for up to 4 months
  • Leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while the visa is valid
  • Apply for a second Work and Holiday visa if you have worked for three months (88 days at least) in Northern Australia in tourism and hospitality or agriculture, forestry and fishing

Length of stay:

Up to 12 months.


  • You must be 18 years of age but not yet 31 years of age
  • For the subclass 417:
    You must be a citizen from Belgium, Canada, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China (including British National Overseas passport holders), Republic of Ireland, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan, United Kingdom
  • For the subclass 462:
    You must be a citizen from Argentina, Bangladesh, Chile, China, People’s Republic of Hungary, Indonesia, Israel, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Peru, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Thailand, Turkey, USA, Uruguay, and Vietnam


The application cost is $450 AUD.

Processing time:

From 20 days to 4 months.


4. Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189)

There are more than 25 different types of visas that allow you to work legally in the country. The Skilled Independent visa is available for skilled professionals in high demand in Australia. This stream is for points-tested skilled workers who are not sponsored by an employer or family member or nominated by a state or territory government.

Who can apply?

This visa permits you to live and work in Australia as a permanent resident, and also allows you to study without restrictions. After reaching the minimum 65 points, you need to submit an expression of interest and wait to be invited to apply. Your data is then stored for up to 2 years in the Australian immigration system, which can invite you to apply at any time. Once the invitation is sent, 60 days are given to gather all the necessary documentation and then apply for the visa.

Length of stay:



  • You must be invited by the Australian immigration
  • Be under 45 years of age at the time of invitation
  • Your occupation must be on the relevant list of eligible skilled occupations
  • You must have a skills assessment that shows you have the skills and qualifications to work in that occupation
  • Meet the points test pass mark of 65 points
  • Have competent English – IELTS (minimum score 7) or OET (minimum score B)


From $3,755 AUD. Because it is a complex and detailed process, we recommend that you contact an Immigration Agent to avoid an unsuccessful application.

Processing time:

From 9 to 14 months.


5. Temporary Skill Shortage visa – TSS (subclass 482)

The Temporary Skill Shortage visa was created in March 2018 to replace the Temporary Skilled Visa (subcategory 457), better known as a Sponsor Visa. It has 3 streams: Short-term, Medium-term or the Labour Agreement. This visa enables employers to address labour shortages by bringing in genuinely skilled workers where they cannot source an appropriately skilled Australian

Visa permissions:

Full time working rights are granted with this visa.

Length of stay – It depends on your nominated occupation and the visa stream:

  • Short-term stream: 2 to 4 years
  • Medium-term stream: up to 4 years
  • Labour Agreement stream: variable
  • All streams contain different eligible skilled occupations, find it here


  • Be nominated by an approved sponsor
  • Provide evidence that you have the necessary skills, qualifications and employment background to perform the nominated occupation
  • Have competent English – IELTS (minimum score 5) or OET (minimum score B)
  • Meet health requirements and provide a police certificate
  • Meet the requirements of each stream Short-term, Medium-term or the Labour Agreement


  • Short-term stream: $1,175 AUD.
  • Medium-term or Labour Agreement stream: $2,455 AUD.

What is the processing time?

Up to 70 days.

Whatever your goal is to go to Australia, the Puravida team of professionals offers complete assistance in every step. Contact us now to book your Visa Assessment.

Georgia Carajeleascov

A nature lover and curious at heart always looking for the next trip and cultures to see. A marketing specialist with digital and strategy skills, helping brands to develop their soul and presence.

Do you need help with your student visa?

Contact Puravida Study for advice.

enquire now